If you’re planning on replacing your countertops, it’s important to think it through before making a decision. There are quite literally hundreds of options available, and it’s all too easy to make a snap-decision without properly examining the benefits of each one.
Questions to Ask Before Buying a New Countertop
- ‘Is it easy to keep clean?’ Kitchens, by their very nature, tend to get dirty quite quickly. Drinks get spilt, crumbs get scattered and sauce gets splattered on a daily basis! When selecting the right countertop, think about how easy it will be to keep it looking clean. You may also want to check that it is stain resistant, to ensure it lasts for a long period of time.
- ‘Will the color match my existing kitchen units?’ It’s very easy to fall in love with a particular countertop, without first assessing whether or not it will blend with your existing kitchen units. If in doubt, before you visit your local countertop showroom, take a photo of your existing kitchen for reference.
- ‘Will it work in terms of style?’ Style is also important to keep in mind. It’s highly unlikely that a modern polished white countertop will work well with a really traditional wooden kitchen unit. It might do… but we doubt it.
- ‘What material?’ There are many different materials to choose from, and what you select very much depends on budget, desired look and lifestyle requirements. Laminate tends to be a great option for those on a tighter budget, and can still offer a really high-end finish.
- ‘How long will it last?’ Some materials are naturally more longer-lasting than others. For example, marble, although attractive, is notorious for staining badly over time. Others are more prone to scratching. Make sure you ask an expert about scratch and stain resistance before committing to buy.
If you’re keen to start transforming your kitchen, the first place to start is to visit your local countertop specialists. Browse through their showroom, identify some styles that you particularly like, then start asking those all-important questions!